Hockey: When It's More Than Just A Sport #WeAllPlay

I grew up loving hockey.  I collected cards, played with the neighbourhood boys during the spring, summer, and fall.  I loved (and still love) hockey, but have yet to set foot on the ice with a stick and a puck.  I remember asking my parents to put me in a league for girls, but they always said it was too expensive.  I understood and took it at face value.  When my younger brother turned 10, he asked to be put in a league, and without hesitation money was found, equipment was purchased, and he was enrolled in less than a month.  I assumed that this meant I could ask again, and when I did, I was told "Hockey isn't for girls.  It's too rough, it's a boys sport."  I didn't understand.  They knew just how much I loved hockey, why couldn't they just let me play and decide for myself whether or not it was "too rough". Up until that point, I believed I could be and do anything I set my mind to, but my world changed that day.  I felt limited because I was a girl.  *Not cool mom and dad, not cool*  Time has passed, I've grown older and now am proud to have a daughter of my own.  She's a little diva who's willing to try anything, and both my wife and I encourage her to do whatever she wants.  Last year, after we attended her very first Leafs game, she told me that she wanted to give hockey a try.  I was overwhelmed with such joy and pride, and was taken by surprise as she's normally not into sports.  I wanted to do for her what my parents didn't do for me.  This was my way of somehow re-writing my past, by letting my daughter follow wherever her heart takes her.   Her skating may not have been perfect, her skill not refined, but there she was stick in hand, puck on the ice, and a huge smile upon her face.  I couldn't help but cry as I watched her live out both our dreams.  Things have changed over the years and now I sit with my mom and watch her cheer on my daughter with pride.

The Wickenheiser World Female Hockey Festival is an annual hockey festival set up by Canadian hockey legend Hayley Wickenheiser. It draws teams from across Canada for seminars, workshops and a friendly tournament. This year, it takes place in Calgary Nov. 26-29, 2015. The festival is sold out for 2015 with 2,000 female players from 8-18 years old.  Learn more about it HERE!


Totally fan-momming over here knowing that I'll be tweeting along with Hayley and Meaghan.  Do you have any questions for them or just want to tell them how awesome they are?  Join the #WeAllPlay twitter party, where not only will you have the change to chat with these amazing athletes, but you might also win one of 10 $100 Canadian Tire gift cards (just in time for hockey season!)



Twitter Party Details:

Date: November 25th, 2015
Time: 8:00 p.m. E
Hashtag: #WeAllPlay
Guests: @Wick_22 and @Mikkelson12
Join the Twubs page here.
NO RSVP
Prizing: 10 x $100 @CanadianTire Gift Cards

Anyone can participate but only Canadians can win prizes, excluding those in the province of Quebec.







Comments

Popular Posts